BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – One phrase to explain Indiana freshman Kaleb Banks?
As Race Thompson’s soar hook caromed off the appropriate aspect of the rim, Banks darted from the nook on the 7:50 mark of the primary half. He leapt by visitors to grab the offensive rebound and completed the layup by an Ohio State foul.
Banks returned to motion with 1:43 left within the first half, wanting to make an affect. One other freshman, 6-foot-9 Malik Reneau, led the quick break and dished the ball to Trayce Jackson-Davis within the nook. In the meantime, Banks sprinted down the center of the court docket, catching a lob from Jackson-Davis and flushing the ball by the web as the primary half clock ticked under 20 seconds.
A roaring Meeting Corridor crowd reached its peak as Indiana completed the primary half on a 15-0 run. Banks seized the chance to play his most minutes since Nov. 25 in opposition to Jackson State with tenacity on each ends of the ground. He completed Indiana’s 86-70 win over Ohio State with 5 factors and 7 rebounds in 12 minutes of motion.
Add dynamic, energetic, athletic and able to the record of descriptors for Banks, who Indiana coach Mike Woodson was happy to see step up on Saturday.
“He shined tonight,” Woodson stated. “It is kinda good to see. Typically when gamers have not performed, they’ll simply go the opposite approach, and he did not.”
Scroll to Proceed
Woodson has referred to as Banks’ quantity lower than his freshman friends Jalen Hood-Schifino, Malik Reneau and CJ Gunn this season, and ready his flip was admittedly a problem from a psychological standpoint. However Woodson credit Banks endurance, saying he is stayed in tune with Indiana’s recreation plan in observe, shoot-arounds and walkthroughs.
“It was my shot,” Banks stated. “I had a sense earlier than the sport that at the moment was going to be the day. So I attempted to make the perfect out of it, and I believe I did effectively.”
Banks believes his protection was holding him again from extra taking part in time this season, however he is gotten a greater sense of rotations and switching in latest weeks. On Saturday in opposition to Ohio State, Banks was featured in lineups with Jackson-Davis and Reneau, presenting measurement that not many opponents can match.
At 6-foot-7 and 215 kilos, Banks has lengthy arms and mobility to protect a number of positions, and he is felt a particular enchancment on the defensive finish – a should so as play for Woodson. Banks was a four-star recruit out of Fayette County Excessive College outdoors of Atlanta, Ga., the place he was the Georgia Class 4A Participant of the 12 months as a senior.
Since becoming a member of the Hoosiers, Banks stated he is been “on and off” along with his shot – he was 1-for-4 from the free throw line on Saturday – however he feels it is beginning to come again. He thinks he is progressing day-to-day, and Woodson credit his workers for doing an amazing job creating the Indiana freshmen.
With clear upside, Banks definitely made a case for extra taking part in time on Saturday, even amongst a deep Indiana roster.
“Everybody just isn’t going to be like Jalen and Malik Reneau,” Woodson stated. “It has been a sluggish course of with [Banks], however tonight I believed he responded.”
To learn our full-length characteristic story on Kaleb Banks from July, together with an interview with Fayette County Excessive College coach Andre Flynn, CLICK HERE.
- GAME STORY: INDIANA DEFEATS OHIO STATE: Jalen Hood-Schifino hit six first-half three-pointers and scored 24 factors, main Indiana to an 86-70 victory over Ohio State, the Hoosiers’ fifth-straight victory. He did all of it regardless of coping with abdomen points all evening. CLICK HERE
- DEFENSE, 15-0 RUN DOOMS BUCKEYES: Ohio State and Indiana went forwards and backwards for the primary 16 minutes of the sport. The second half rating was 40-40. However the Hoosiers’ 15-0 run within the ultimate 3:31 of the primary half, coupled with what coach Chris Holtmann referred to as the ‘poorest defensive output’ of the season, was an excessive amount of to beat in an 86-70 loss at Indiana. CLICK HERE
- HOLTMANN ON SCOREBOARD INCIDENT: A ten-to-15 pound piece of metallic fell from the scoreboard at Simon Skjodt Meeting Corridor moments earlier than the second half of Saturday’s recreation between Indiana and Ohio State. This is what Holtmann stated concerning the scenario after the sport. CLICK HERE
- WHAT WOODSON SAID: Indiana basketball is on a five-game profitable streak after defeating Ohio State 86-70 at dwelling. Hear from head coach Mike Woodson after the sport by the complete press convention video, or simply learn his transcript. CLICK HERE
- WHAT BANKS, RENEAU SAID: This is what Indiana basketball freshmen forwards Malik Reneau and Kaleb Banks needed to say after the Hoosiers’ 86-70 win over Ohio State on Saturday. Learn their full transcript, or simply watch the hooked up video of your entire press convention. CLICK HERE
- WATCH GALLOWAY’S 3: Indiana is capturing 50 p.c from 3-point vary halfway by the second half on Saturday in opposition to Ohio State after this nook 3 from Trey Galloway. CLICK HERE
- WATCH GALLOWAY’S REVERSE: Watch this replay of Indiana guard Trey Galloway’s reverse layup within the first half of Indiana’s matchup versus Ohio State on Saturday evening. CLICK HERE
- WATCH JACKSON-DAVIS’ DUNK: Watch this replay of Hoosier ahead Trayce Jackson-Davis’s dunk to offer Indiana basketball the sting over Ohio State. CLICK HERE
- WATCH HOOD-SCHIFINO’S 3: Jalen Hood-Schifino began Saturday’s recreation in opposition to Ohio State an ideal 4-for-4 capturing with 11 factors within the first six-plus minutes of motion. CLICK HERE